View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #1
Jackson's Dad 64 C10

Picking up an LY6/4L80E this weekend... What extra parts should I grab?

I found an LY6/4L80E on Craig's not too far from me, and have made arrangements to pick it up on Saturday. It was just pulled from a wrecked 2010 Silverado 2500, which was a fleet truck for the seller's job. The seller bought the truck from his company, and pulled the engine/trans with plans to put it in his 69 Camaro, but has decided to keep the current engine in the car.

I'm getting the engine/trans, full harness (verified that it wasn't cut to remove), ECM/TCM, front-end accessory drive with all accessories, gas pedal, etc. The truck had 114k miles when it was wrecked, and he has all the service records for the truck since new. I'm stoked over this one. I feel like I'm paying a fair price for it, not a steal, but nobody is getting screwed over either. I think it's a good foundation for our 64. Decent power now, and plenty of potential for later.

On to the real questions...
I'm going to do a compression test (engine is currently on a stand), check the oil, and do a visual once-over on everything. Anything else that I'm not thinking about, that I should check? Supposedly it ran great when recently pulled, but the last time I bought an engine that "ran great", I ended up with a dirt-track cheater engine, with 11:1 pop up pistons, and hacksawed threaded rod for "screw-in rocker studs". Live and learn (and I've learned A LOT since that purchase)

The seller is a pretty cool gearhead, and has offered other parts from the donor truck, if I want them. Is there anything that I'm not thinking about, that I should try to take with me? The seller mentioned that the bed is off, and I can get the entire fuel tank (already have a tank under the bed on the 64, but I don't know if it has provisions for EFI), or I can just grab the sending unit (and pump? Don't know if OEM is a one piece unit). Depending on the size, I may grab the master cylinder and booster. Don't know if it will fit, but I'm going to have to replace the old single pot MC eventually. May as well save a few bucks.

Thanks for the input! I have to get some pics resized, so I can start a build thread, but I'm looking forward to playing with a Gen IV engine!

-Chris
Jackson's Dad 64 C10 is offline   Reply With Quote