View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 11:07 PM   #7
MCSquared

Re: New To Forum - Seeking Wisdom on 52 pickup

I decided to order the "standard height" Art Morrison frame for my 52 pickup... the one that does not require the bed to be raised.

Now I am looking for some guidance on selection of rear end gearing.

I am putting in LS3 motor with T56 6 speed manual transmission. Right now, I have no idea if the required cut out along the firewall will leave room for a gas pedal. Anyone know how much of the floor will be left after I cut room for the T56 transmission? Tell me that I can place my gas pedal about where it is in the stock truck.

The wheels will be 18 inches. (275/40R18 tires, if that matters).

With all that said, I have some time before I specify to Art Morrison Enterprises, what gear ratio I want for the differential. I know enough to know that one of the answers is "it depends"... on what I want. All I can say right now is that I want a highway cruiser but no sissy off the line.

My vette has LS motor (of course) and as I recall, in 6th gear, at around 70 MPH, it is somewhere around the low side of 1500 RPMs. I have no idea what differential ratio is in the vette, but I like its efficiency on the highway and its aggression off the line. I think I would be happy with similar performance from this truck build.

Forgive me if my statement of details displays an amazing ignorance of "how things really are". I really am new at this HOWEVER, I am determined to make this build a highlight of my retirement.

Thanks
MCSquared is offline   Reply With Quote