View Single Post
Old 06-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
mikebte

Re: How to convert an oil bath air-filter to an air type filter on a 1956 Chevy Truck

Found it, I had originally posted to the link below.

https://talk.classicparts.com/thread...-filter.13733/

Used a CA146 FRAM filter. It was cheep. The K&N is P/N:E-1000

The filter did seal on the bottom, but the surface is slanted. If you could weld or epoxy a flat surface to the bottom sealing surface you would have a nice setup.

I love the oil bath. I am a fan of the oil bath myself. But after lots and lots of hear say I did the research. Found out that GM switch due to they had engine life increase after just swapping a paper filter in the oil baths place. Later on they figured out paper was in fact cleaner. Oil bath is great but it is not the best! GM also found that engine life was greater after running the PCV air intake to the air cleaner, this increased engine life by 40% as opposed to the valve cover air intake. I went threw a lot of old books and lots of searching to find this info. Now, if you ask anyone that has a oil bath what is better, they will insist on oil bath. Oil bath was for the most part better then nothing. The SAE has set standards for air filters and they must clean so good to pass. Oil bath dose not clean dust that well, the idea of oil bath is that it makes a 180 degree bend and slams the air into the oil and then hope the heavier partials would drop into the oil. Oil wetted air filters such as K&N have claim some of the best filtration around, I am currently experimenting with the AEM dry flow filters and also run paper and K&N filters.

Last edited by mikebte; 06-15-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Grammer
mikebte is offline   Reply With Quote