View Single Post
Old 06-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #1
Rich69shortfleet

Halo headlights in the truck

I put APC halo headlights in the wagon. The halos are xenon and look good at dusk and at night (but you need full headlights at night, so...). The halogens are sealed capsules and look stock and yet provide great light.

I wanted to do halos in the truck but I want to use the halos as DTRLs and the APC xenons just aren't visible in bright daylight. So, I found a Delta light that has a ring of bright COB LEDs as the halo. They are supposed to be really bright halos. The headlights are replaceable H4 halogen bulbs. They are quite a bit more expensive than the APCs but I wanted bright halos so I thought I'd try the Deltas. While the APC lamps are all glass, the Deltas have a glass lens and a plastic reflector back. Not a big deal. The Deltas have a domed lens so look basically stock when off.

The fit was pretty easy but I did have to slightly modify the buckets to clear the large rubber seal they use to seal the H4s to the housing. The Deltas come much more ready to install with a premade harness containing the transformers, a ground wire and a hot lead. They can be wired in any number of ways but I chose to wire them into an ignition-on feed so they power on any time the ignition switch is on. I wired in a small hidden rocker switch so I can turn them off altogether if I so desire. The rim where the lens is joined to the reflector is thinner than on stock sealed capsules, so I had to add a ring of hanger wire to the inside of the headlight rings so the rings will hold the capsules snug to the buckets. Again, not a big deal.

I did find that the halos are much brighter, they provide a very pleasing white-blue glow even in bright daylight. The headlights are very clear and precise with a very clear upper cutoff on the low beam light so hopefully I won't get flashed by oncoming traffic anymore. The high beams are very powerful.

The pictures are in order; halos only, halos and headlights (low beams) and headlights only (low beams).
Attached Images

Rich69shortfleet is offline   Reply With Quote