Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #5499
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

The Saginaw gets a bad rap for not being as strong as a Muncie and it's rated up to 300 horse power. So why did The Greg get one?

Well, my beloved A833 needs a rebuild and this will allow me to do a temporary transmissino swap to keep my daily on the road, really simple as that. This will also allow me to try a true 1960's four speed transmission be it weaker than a Muncie. You gotta understand that a Turbo 350 is rated at 350 horse power so only 50 more than the Saginaw and the TH350 was GMs go to transmission for everything.

I also twisted my logic seven different ways to justify this impulse buy. If the Muncie is all aluminum and is considered strong than aint iron stronger. Why do the Mopar guys swap from aluminum A833 cases to the iron cases when they build drag transmissions? And so what that 300 horse is it's peak, my truck in OEM form pulled 190(ish) horse on the dyno, and with my bolt on upgrades pulled only 255 horse, so I am well below that. Also with a more stout cam the power band rises from a factory idle - 5500 to something like 2500-5500 RPM so this transmission should put me in the power band with higher revs.

And finally, the Saginaw transmission was a cheaper alternative for GM but surved loyal duty in the Chevelles, Novas, Camaros, Fire Birds, Impalas, Corvettes, El Caminos, Tempests, Vegas, and did I mention Monzas, ha ha

so it will do, and I treat Rusty as a car not a truck so I don't go towing motor homes or the Space Shuttles

Last edited by Gregski; 06-23-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote