View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 09:48 AM   #14
gigamanx

Re: Help -- Old Fashioned engine tuning with vacuum gauge

Ok all, I got it! Went out this morning before the heat wave cooked me in the garage. So the issue was I had started off with idle too far in to begin with. I was sitting at 1000rpm and 1600rpm when I adjusted the idle mix screws. I followed the link from Nordic and the hint from MARTINSR on distributor. I first set the idle to 600rpm then set the timing.

Problem #2, I attached the vacuum to the vac advance port not the manifold vacuum port. By putting the gauge on the right port, I was at 16-17 when timing was set. The needle hardly moved, so I was happy.

From there, I set the idle mix screws 1 turn out to begin with. I then started turning them out and watching the rpm. Once rpm was as high as it would go, I turned down the idle back to 700rpm. Then I did it all over again until the idle mix screws wouldn't increase rpm. I then turned in the idle mix screws 1/4 turn to drop the rpm by 50.

Went for a drive and bam, nice pull, nice power, and no dieseling.

Thanks all! I'm so pumped

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote