View Single Post
Old 07-19-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
WannaBe68

Re: Roof insulation?

Okay Joe - of course there are a bunch of ways to do this, but this is what I'm doing.
I lined the roof skin with the butyl rubber foil backed sound deadener/semi heat barrier sheets. Most people know of Dynamat, Fat Mat, etc... I went with an all black foil brand called Nioco, whose foil is a little thicker than what those others use. I used all black thinking I would leave it uncovered until I found headliner material. This really helped quiet things down a lot!, but a little radiant heat was still coming through. Then a buddy of mine who has a plane turned me on to Aircraft Spruce and they specialize in all things aviation. They have several different radiant barrier products. I bought a bunch of the 12x24 sheets of their Aluminized Silica w/an adhesive backing Heat Barrier. Supposed to be good up to 2000F!
It took about 4 1/2 12x24 sheets for one section and I just started putting it in, so only one section is in. I also need to tape up the gaps. This combo should knock down 90+% of the radiant heat that used to come in. At least that's what I'm hoping!
Attached Images

WannaBe68 is offline   Reply With Quote