View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #133
ncpetersc

Re: Help a NOOB - A continuing saga

Hello again, well I got back from vacation this week and had a box from National Carburetors waiting for me. While that's exciting, I am not making much progress on my first priority, clean fuel. So I haven't even opened up the new carb to check it out.

Looking at the saddle tanks I figured I'd go ahead and try to get those out of the picture. Well the only way that's going to happen is by cutting the bolts apparently. It's mounted hung from the bed with long carriage bolts through little brackets on the bottom of the tank. So turning the nut just turns the bolt. I have soaked, and tried, and tried and soaked. No luck loosening them.

So for now, I am using a few things to justify ignoring them for now. I can't open the caps (wedged against bed, probably shifted at some point in time), but tapping on the tanks I think they are empty or at least close to it. Then there is the 4-way valve, that is clearly set on the main tank. I understand the valve itself could be suspect, but I think other things seem like more likely sources of crud.

Looking at main tanks, that is going to push $200 with shipping charges. So I would really like to make sure I need to replace mine.

Was thinking of small steps forward I could make, and thought I'd try to get the cannsiter type filter (mounted just after output of fuel selector valve). I started at the engine. Removing the fuel line from the carb (I wanted to take a look at the filter again anyway). Then I thought I would remove the supply line to the fuel pump.

After draining probably four or five mason jars worth of gas it is still flowing. I guess I have a good siphon going? Incidentally looking at what I drained, I am not seeing any contaminants.

Anyway, I thought the next step might be to remove the line from the sending unit to break the siphon. If I can fold the seat forward I should be able to do this without taking my seat out. But I have questions about it.

Stuck my phone back behind the seat to snap a pic. Which of these is the supply line? My guess is the larger of the two. And by disconnecting here, I should break the siphon I would think. Agree?
Attached Images

ncpetersc is offline   Reply With Quote