View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 11:32 AM   #317
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Pictures to follow tomorrow, but here is the latest...

I spent yesterday doing lots of little things. The front sheet metal is back on the truck now so I could finish getting the wire harness situated in the engine compartment. When mounting the front bumper, I found there was some interference between the bottom edge of the bumper and the brass fittings on the transmission oil cooler. I used a block of wood and a hole saw to notch the bumper for clearance. Being on the bottom, the notch isn't visible and the cooler can remain mounted out of harm's way. I've also found the new mounting location works great with the transmission, no more leaks from the dipstick tube seal.

I used my new hammer and dolly set to knock out the gouges in the rear wall of the cab and finished out with a skim coat of Rage to finish the job. It looks so much better.

Test driving the truck the other day, I found the seating position felt like it was about 1" low. I used some leftover 11ga 1"x2" box tube to make some risers and now the seating position feels better. In the long run, I am going to get some power seat bases for that "perfect" position, but this will work in the meanwhile.

Today, the plan is to work on thinning out the in-cab wire harness. All the wiring for the climate controls and the sound system can be removed. When I add A/C, I will be using the vendor supplied components rather than the Dodge equipment. I also want to finish setting up all the wiring for the exterior lights.

The new O2 sensor will be arriving today as well, so that will get installed and the truck can be run with the computer receiving input from the sensor rather than in default mode.

-Joe