View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #1453
oldman3

Re: My 50 roadster pickup build

OK, it's been ten days since I said we were ready for paint. What has slowed us up was having problems with the paint. For some reason we were getting little blue spots in the paint, as if it wasn't mixed good enough. So I took it back to the paint store, showed them what was happening,(pics on cell phone and I can't get them to down load, will show later if I can) they sent their paint pro out to look at the panels. He used his Ultra-violet light, etc to check, the spots were flat, not something that fell into the paint. After a while he ask if I had tried to wet sand out the spots. I hadn't, so I got water and 600 paper and kept wet sanding until it disappeared. Now, my hood had about 20 of these spots, which I sanded out. My question was, why it happened, and how to keep it from happening again. Both the fenders and doors also had these spots, which I sanded out.

The paint store called the main supplier to check on mixing of the paint, which they said was all new products, and they thought it was in my prep work. My paint store knows me and knows how cautions I am about prep work, and keeping a fairly clean paint area.

After waiting for 4 or 5 days, I told them to shake the s**t out of both cans of my paint. I took it home and poured both gallon cans into a new bucket. The gallon can we had been using showed this blue in the bottom, that wasn't mixing correct. We mixed the paint in the bucket by hand and then strained that mixed paint back into the gallon cans. Couldn't see anything in the strainers, so we will use it as is and see how it works.

The reason I'm telling about this is, everyone can run into problems with paint, it's never 100%, but you try and do the best you can. I've never had this happen before, and hope I never do again.

To end this lengthing story, we painted on Wednesday and today, and it was fine, no problems. So I'll close this part and show some pics...Jim

Last edited by oldman3; 08-10-2018 at 09:07 PM.
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote