View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

My parts from Canada arrived. I made a quick test fit of the shock plate and it fits well. Removed the crossmember in the back and test fitted the new one. Want to clean up the frame and paint the part with Chassis Saver before I install.

The rivets for the crossmember came out pretty easily. I grinded the head off the top and bottom rivet, then I used the old star wheel from the drum brakes and knocked it out.

Speaking of brakes, my friend came over and we got the drum brakes done!

Next, I removed the inner frame support above the spring plate. Most of those rivets were really hard to remove. I still have one hole to drill out where I grinded off the head and removed the plate, but the rivet is still attached at the bottom.

I am glad I removed it as you can see all the rust and damage between the support plate and the frame. The right side does not appear to be as bad; trying to decide if I should remove it and clean it up or leave it alone.

The rivets that are left on the plate have become fused to the metal.

Took the plate to the bench grinder and grinded down as much as I could.

Next I sandblasted it, put it on the bench vise and use the angle grinder. I still have to drill out some holes to reinstall it. This pic is probably before I used the grinder on the vise.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote