View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 12:01 AM   #96
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

thanks! every truck I do is the best I have done. maybe someday I will have a nut and bolt restoration like some of the guys on here. I sure like shiny stuff.

rusty sounds like it may have been easier to part it out there and leave the bent parts.

i moved all my gmc stuff (ys I know the tailgate says chevrolet, I will fix it) to the front including the truck bed trailer that will give the bed, fenders, aprons, stub running boards, and even the running board mounts to the project. I am leaning more towards using the whole unbent front clip, knowing what I learned doing paint matching on hannah. what actually got me thinking about it is a gal had a front clip and doors, blue, listed for sale local, and I still have a perfect (well as near as perfect for old parts) blue bed in the back 40 (ft), and all that would have needed changed is the tiny bit of green left on the cab. so then I thought, why am I being crazy about that little bit of green, I can make it red if I want, the hood, grille surround, bed and rear fenders are already red.

IMG_0753 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0752 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

pulled the windshield, if you havent done one and dont plan to reuse the gasket, the easiest way is to slide a box knife against the glass and cut the outer from the inner, takes seconds. cutting through the gasket perpendicularly is a lot more work than just cutting the outside portion off. a little rust through but an easy fix.

IMG_0754 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_0755 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I mocked the fender up, its in the wrong spot and pointing down a little but I think using the unbent steel is the right plan. I straightened the core support and just need to brace it which I will do tomorrow.

IMG_0757 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

my neighbor the great guy found this on his shelf and there was only one guy he could think of that could use it! love that guy, what a great neighbor.

IMG_0758 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tomorrow I will make a cap for the core support and haul it in, remount the unbent fender and repaired inner fender, and start cutting things to fit. easy peasy!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote