Thread: Adding Air
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #29
darrellyates

Re: Adding Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myoldtruck View Post
For those who have done the conversion. Are you happy with the cooling ability of the unit. Im thinking of doing a system for my every day driver, but i want it to work great.
I've had 2 different trucks with vintage air. Both ran LS engines. On the first one, I was stubborn and used the GM factory compressor. It worked fine, but the a/c wasn't the coldest.

On my latest install, the guys at V/A told me it was because the GM compressor doesn't build the same pressure as their compressor. I was skeptical, because it means not only the cost of the compressor, but modifying the serpentine belt system and having to figure out a longer belt. However, I took their advice.

On the new truck, the a/c is cold. I seldom turn the fan higher than the lowest position. I drove to the car show in Hendersonville in July. It was 95 degrees F. The a/c was very cold. Put a thermometer in the drivers side vent, it showed 45 degrees. The passenger side and center vent (closer to the unit) show 42. Considering it was over 90 outside, yes, I'm happy with that. (That was while driving with the wife down Vietnam Veterans Parkway...)

Overall, I would say I'm very happy with the performance so far.
darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote