View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #17
68Stepbed

Re: V8 307 Cam Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEAK71C10 View Post
Would like a slight lope in a stock V8 307 (71 C10), 3 on tree, 2 Barrel, with Rams Horn Manifolds, dual exhaust. Didn't see answer in a quick search, but may have missed it. Appreciate any comments on these Cams or others I missed. For summer use, car shows, truck is not a daily driver. Not looking for a racer, just want it to sound good with a growl. Want a bit of lope but nothing so harsh it won't idle or run on basically a stock motor.

COMP Cams Xtreme Energy 268H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Small Kit Lift: .477"/.480" Duration: 268°/280° RPM Range: 1600-5800

Summit Racing® Classic Camshafts SUM-1103
Camshaft, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 288/298, Lift .444/.466, Chevy, Small Block
Any cam mentioned will be good cams. The COMP XE268 you listed is a nice cam, and had a nice lope in my old 350, but, with the shorter throw on the crank, it would more pronounced. As already stated, it may hurt low end torque.

All in all, we need more info. What's your gear ratio? Do you plan to swap to an auto or different manual trans later? These will all alter how the engine utilizes it's torque curve.

FWIW, I'll never buy a catalog cam again. Custom built cams are the way to go!! Also, steer clear of Summit branded stuff. Most of it is made in China and just isn't good quality. I'm talking from experience!

The 307 is the red-headed stepchild of the sbc family. They can actually make some decent power and be great engines. They just got a bad rep because of the wheezy heads GM put on them because they intended for them to be "economy" engines for base model cars. The guys telling you to swap on some Vortec heads are spot on. They flow great out of the box, and will really wake up that 307.

Here's an article from Super Chevy where they made 315hp/330tq from a 307 with some mild upgrades.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/eng...e-performance/

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote