View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 10:27 AM   #350
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Until I get a new laptop and decent internet service at the house, I'm not going to worry about it much. YouTube has some sort of editing software available and I would need to learn how to use it, but again, it is a back burner priority.

I've been shopping around for new bed floor material this week. Wood isn't a viable option for me here in Oklahoma. The climate is too damp and i don't have indoor parking at this time to keep the truck out of the weather. I'd really hate to see all my work rusting away from moisture being held in the lumber and winter time freezing.

Initially, I was going to use 3/16" steel plate to make the bed floor out of, but that stuff jumped $60 in price since last year. In reality, 3/16" is overkill anyway. I'm not using this truck as a farm truck or a welding rig, just a driver for me to enjoy. I had considered doing what Old57 did and reclaim some bed floor steel from a later GM truck and even found a donor trailer on Marketplace for $75 with the metal I would need. Still, I like the idea of using plate steel.

The local yard has a 5'x12' sheet of 10ga plate for $170 which will give me everything I need for the floor and extra plate for something else when the time comes. I'll have to cut it myself, but the cost savings is enough that I can by blades as needed.

I figure once I have the plate installed, I will bed line it and then add the bed strips as well. The bed strips will break up the look of a plain steel plate, add a bit of extra rigidity to the flat steel and will sit on top of the bed liner so larger items can still be slid back and forth when the are not strapped down.

-Joe