View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 11:24 AM   #7
kazoocruiser

Re: rough running bbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillguy View Post
bbc starts easy but step on it stalls out slowly step on it goes runs rough up 2000 rpm and then kind of smooths out new fuel filters kind of gassy smell sometimes no vaccumun leaks checked with carb cleaner any ideas? timing set at 6 btdc.
This test is easier if you have a tach hooked up to the engine that you can look at during testing. You can do it by ear, but it's harder.

With the engine running, disconnect one plug at a time. I don't know your level of expertise, so I am going to caution you to be careful and use insulated pliers if you can to keep from coming in contact with high voltage in the ignition circuit You should hear engine speed drop slightly. If it doesn't, you may have a bad plug, bad wire, or bad distributor cap causing a crossfire or an internal short to grond. A misfire would cause a gassy smell at the exhaust.

You can do a simple cylinder balance test by disconnecting the two wires that fire on alternative engine revolutions, but I don't know what your firing order is to tell you. That would definitely tell you that one of the two plugs MAY not be doing their job.

The next step is do a compression test on the weak cylinder. You want to rule out a burned exhaust valve. In that case, it wouldn't matter if the plugs are working or not. That would also give you the symptoms you are describing here.

I guess you have something to do on a Saturday afternoon, now.

Last edited by kazoocruiser; 08-25-2018 at 11:31 AM.
kazoocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote