View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 08:27 PM   #25
S_Gibson

Re: C10 almost roadworthy during the day and night.

Did I mess up?

I'm sure many on here know what brake line sizes were used on these trucks. I purchased a roll of 3/16" lines, new unions and fittings since the previous owner had patched and repaired all the lines using compression fittings. I've always been told that is a big no-no. I ran the new lines from the proportioning valve to the rear center brake hose.

It was then realized the old lines I tore off were 1/4". I guess I assumed an old manual drum brake system would be 3/16". It appears the lines on the axle though are in fact 3/16 although I haven't replaced them YET. May do that tomorrow

What was standard on these trucks? Is there any issue with 3/16" lines? Did I mess up?

I was also going to go ahead and replace the front lines and hoses in the near future. I think brakes are the most important system in an automobile and would feel much more comfortable knowing they were done right on this truck (and obviously the previous owner rigged and patched everything incorrectly). Should I go ahead an use the 3/16" line I now have plenty of?

If it matters I have no desire of swapping to disc brakes, at least not anytime soon. I've never found anything wrong with drum brakes if they are maintained properly.

Just a comment on the copper/nickel line I ordered. It was a breeze cut double flare and BEND. I used a cheap Harbor Freight double flare tool and tomorrow when I get fluid in the lines and bleed them I'll find out if they all hold up. If that isn't an issue I'll definitely use copper instead of steel on any of my cars that need it. No tools required to bend it. I will have to tie it off to the frame better as the previous owner didn't believe in reusing clips, but liked zip ties. The copper is not near as rigid as steel.

Thanks in advance for any assistance and comments.