View Single Post
Old 08-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #23
liftlawssuck

Re: Backfire under loads

Ok so I'm getting somewhere now.

First off is I jumped the gun on the TDC and 180* out. It's been a long time since I have built a motor and the 20 years have been aircraft so my mind is in that mode. Any how no it wasn't 180* out. It was correct all along. Then I confirmed my no 1 timing mark locations on balancer. Someone must have installed a different one at some point as it has both marks for 12 and 2 o'clock position.

Secondly - remember I mentioned my son bought a truck. Well that means he's helping me. With that said I pulled the plugs to see what they looked like since they had some run time on them. Found many were black. So me thinks "hmmm, Hey Evan didn't you say you changed the plugs?" Evan-"I thought you did??" Me-"Well lets put the new ones in and try it" I had given him a list while I was at work and just figured he replaced them because he said he did everything. well I was wrong.

Popped a new set in and man it's like a different truck. Much smoother you can actually drive it around without any issues.

However I'm not out of the woods yet though. I can't time it. Moving the dist in either direction and it will drop RPM and die. Disconnecting vacuum advance line and sometimes RPM will rise. Sometimes not.

I have never connected to ported vacuum on any of my vehicles and never had any issues. Not saying that this no different but just would have never have tried other wise. I will try connecting it to ported and see what happens.

The timing is confusing me at the moment. I have never seen a motor have the same affect when turning it in either direction. Any thoughts on that one??

Not sure who said it but yes I have no clue as to what was done to this motor and everything I touch has been touched and usually not in a good way.

It always amazes me on how much effort goes into hacking something when they just could have fixed it the right quicker right out of the gate. Especially electrical things. Sadly this happens on airplanes too!!
liftlawssuck is offline   Reply With Quote