View Single Post
Old 09-01-2018, 07:44 PM   #377
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Thanks for the tip Doc. Unfortunately my blaster isn't available at present. I cleaned it up with a Dremel. As Doc alluded to getting it clean and free of contaminates is vital to get a solid, leak free joint. The resolding went well. I used my grandad's old soldering iron and heated up it with a Mapp gas torch. It works well for things like this you dont want to get too hot. Kinda of old school, but once you get the knack, it works well. Since I had the sensor out I added a 5/16" port to the unit. This way I can add an evap canister or a fuel return line down the road. To make it easier to access in the future I ran a piece of tubing from the new port over the top of the frame and then I pinched the end off and soldered the end. The hope being that I will be able to cut the end off and hook it up with out dropping the tank. Before reinstalling I checks the sensor with a meter to make sure all is well after all the monkeying around.
The ground wire insulation was a bit fifty where it attached to the sensor so I put two layers of heat shrink over it. Before installing a new insulated spade connector I coated the wire with Copper-seize to prevent corrosion down the road. I will do the same on the truck side and inside the connectors.
The locking ring was a bit of a pain. It had more slop in it than other ones I have dealt with in the past. It took about 15 minutes and 100 taps with a small hammer and punch to finally get lined up correctly. It wasn't in the proper location when I removed it. Only two of the three tabs were lined up in the locking detents.
Now I just have to muster the energy to elevate the tank which is about 1/4 full back into place. (I thought it was emptier than that when I looked at the guages). This may be a job for rachet straps. But before that i need to find a second piece of rubber for the mounting straps. One is missing and has a small rubber scrap of some kind in instead. That pretty much proves to me the tank has been out before. I was pleased to see that the inside of the tank is clean and rust free.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 09-01-2018 at 10:02 PM.
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote