Thread: Steering column
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
SwitchbladeII

Re: Steering column

Thanks for the tip on the valve. I did something similar some years back but it was for a different reason. I built a 1936 Chevy street rod powered with an injected small block chevy. It had a mustang II front suspension with rack and pinion steering. I was running a Saginaw pump the valve I got if I remember correctly was to reduce pressure in the pump, it would of made the steering too responsive with the stock valve. Mustang pumps don't put out the pressure the Saginaws do. I never drove it before making the modification but with it the car handled very well and was stable at any speed and very easy to steer at low speed, even when pulling into a parking spot. I will be running a Saginaw and stock ratio box in the pickup. Like you I know exactly where I put the stock valve (long term memory still good, just don't ask what I had for breakfast) so I may do some experimenting and open the hole a bit. I plan on replacing the rag joint pitman arm and everything else steering related under the truck while I'm at it .
SwitchbladeII is offline   Reply With Quote