View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 12:23 PM   #388
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

I replaced the pin and the wire to the ignition on the WMB. First step was to get some new pins from Napa. Then pull the fire wall connector apart. (1st photo shows where the wire broke off at. The next ones are of the firewall connector apart). To remove the pin the goo that GM kindly slathered over the pins has to be cleaned out. You need some kind of fine pick (like a dental pick), some sharp pointed tweezers, and patience. The goo is hard and the same color as the connector body. Good lighting and a magnifier will help prevent you from damaging the connector body. (Photo 4 shows the nice goo and a pin partially removed). To release the pin from the body you have to squeeze it from inside the connector at the base of the pin. The pin holds in self in place and you have to squeeze the pin as I show in the last photo. The pin is out at this point but I hope you get the idea. Having some offset needle nose pliers makes this easier. However the goo doesn't help. You have to squeeze the pin and try to push it out the back of the connector body. I had to push and pull the pin a bunch of times and then go back and try to pick the goo out of the path the pin has to slide out of before I had it out. Patience is the key. The pin should not have to be forced to move.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote