View Single Post
Old 09-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #437
smbrouss70

Re: Ratchet's Blazer - 1970 2wd with Original paint

When I meet up with my buddies with the Blazer on a trailer, they start calling the Blazer a show queen, trailer queen, prom queen, .... anything with a queen on the end of it. I figure I deserve it for opening my big mouth and suck it up.

Once we get to the hotel I unload it and we rush to get to the cruise-in at the Hobby Lobby, which is the first time I really drive the Blazer. Guess what? The back tires rub on the inside of the wheel tubs pretty badly when the rear axle articulates coming out of the hotel parking lot. Oh well, a little rubbing won't hurt for a weekend. And since I kept adjusting the brake rod longer to get rid of all of the slack in the clevis pin before the hydroboost had completely bled itself, I now have brakes that will put you through the windshield with you only pushing the brake pedal about a half inch.

The employees at Hobby Lobby called the police because customers couldn't park in the parking lot, so we decided to go back to the hotel and have a party of our own there. Needless to say, the libations were flowing too good and I didn't get around to polishing the wheels...

The next morning, we head to the show and I am just tired. I walked around and looked at as many trucks as I could before it got too hot and my feet were hurting. About the time that I finally set up my chair and start relaxing, the American Racing guys show up and start looking at the Blazer. Keep in mind that it has water spots on the wheels, I never did clean the dust off of the engine, and there are still cobwebs in the interior in places... My friends tell me that I'm about to get picked for the Top 50 and I joked that they were just amazed at how bad their wheels can look. He comes over and gives me a badge to get in the VIP parking for the Party on the Square that night. I'm completely shocked, and joke that now I have to polish the wheels to which he replies, "YES!" Apparently, I was the first one that they picked, because I got badge #1!

The power-cone that I brought is completely dry-rotted from being so old that it immediately comes apart, so I start polishing by hand, while my "friends" point and laugh and take pictures of me. Yep, I deserve that one too.

After sending a buddy to the store to buy another power-cone and some more polish, and getting some help from a few friends and gringo's son, the wheels are looking much better but the water spots aren't completely gone. It really sucks polishing wheels on a vehicle that it is sitting in the dirt.
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build

Last edited by smbrouss70; 09-17-2018 at 11:22 PM.
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote