View Single Post
Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 PM   #14
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: 500 caddy or 455 olds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty69 View Post
Nope! He sells off the original power trains and installs an sbc or ls for the derby; he said they run about 20 minutes without water. After they cool again they start right up.
Does he use that engine oil that doesn't let the engine overheat after hours of driving? Are LS engines that cheap?! Man, I ought to get one for my truck.

The only experience I have with an engine locking up is way back in the mists of time (about '71) when one of my little sisters wrecked her '62 Nova convertible (45 minutes after getting her license!). We went to get another Nova with a rod knock and proceeded to drive it home (35 miles!). It got louder and louder as we drove, and it finally threw a rod, with that piston exiting the side of the block. I just kept driving it until it seized. Then my mom took me home to get the tow bar. My younger brother (who did not have a license at the time, but it was on a dirt road) had stayed with the car to keep it from getting impounded while we were gone. When we got back, it was about half a mile closer to home, because once it cooled off, it would run again. Tough little I6 Chevy. Fun fact- my dad asked me why I didn't just pull the plug wire off the affected cylinder. I was thunderstruck. We would have made it home with a lot less trouble, but I just hadn't thought of it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote