View Single Post
Old 09-27-2018, 05:49 AM   #40
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Most prized truck related possession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
I wonder how many of us actually got this?

And special-KMA Ive got a K truck just sitting beside my shop if you are in need of another =)
There are probably not many of us left who actually had a driver's license when these trucks first came out. So some exposition is necessary for the younger viewers. R. Crumb, an artist involved with Zap Comix, originally drew the character, Mr Natural in 1968. He coined the thing, "Keep on Truckin' " (originally from a blues song by Blind Boy Fuller [c. 1937] "Truckin' My Blues Away." A reference to the cool way his girlfriend walked down the street.)
Keep On Truckin' got to be a big thing, bigger than Crumb was ready for. Thru a legal loophole, it was found that R. Crumb had not properly copyrighted "Keep On Truckin' " and without need for licensing, the market went wild with Truckin' swag. In 1970, the Grateful Dead cut "Truckin' " about their on tour experiences.
Eventually, Crumb got legal copyrights to his thing back, but then the IRS came after him, for back taxes on royalties he never got.
Crumb was offered $100,000 by Toyota for their Keep on Truckin' ad campaign. He would not sell out.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 09-27-2018 at 05:57 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote