Thread: 4x4
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #9
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: 4x4

I wouldn't remove the bumps. Any more up travel and things that shouldn't touch may if you hit something hard enough.

The ride quality noted is pretty consistent with a stock K20. Even if off road driving isn't in the plans for this truck the path for better ride quality is going to be the same.

Besides the obvious springs and shocks that need to be changed, one thing to look at post lift is the sway bar. It's often overlooked. You want to keep it for decent road manners but when reinstalling after putting taller springs on the bar will fit back in but a new problem comes in. The issue is the angle of the ends of the bar where it attaches to the axle is really steep. Stock those same ends are nearly flat or parallel to the ground. Quickest and easiest way to fix that is a the ORD sway bar disconnect kit. While you probably won't want to disconnect the bar after installing the kit, it does raise the mount point for the ends of the bar just about 4". It levels the bar out nicely.

Why do you want the bar level? When the bar is angled it is effectively shorter and therefore stiffer acting. It makes the whole front end more rigid.

Real world experience on my own stuff it makes a difference to me. My 75 ran the bar without the ORD disconnect kit and it was very firm. I swapped the lift springs (rough country) from the 75 to the 91, but added the ORD kit. It felt more compliant on the street. The springs were still stiff, but the edge was lessened. Once I put the Bilsteins on it was so much better. Most of that was the shocks but the front still felt more smooth than on the old truck.

Bottom line, from stock you need to change springs and shocks minimum to get a better ride. It's still a leaf sprung solid axle truck so it's not going to ride like a C10. But they can ride really good with the right combo of parts.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote