View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #56
56hotrodred

Re: 56 task force on 80 1/2 ton frame pictures

I have been busy especially now that yard work has dropped off. My wife and I had a lot outside projects planned and completed around the place this year.

The major components are on the frame and I am waiting for the cab to come back from the body shop.

I had to sand off a couple of places on the frame and am impressed with the Eastwood primer and chassis paint. It was a bear to get a good ground.

Anyway here are some pictures of the frame and driveline. Not sure about final routing of tailpipes but have lots of time to think about that. Might leave them the way they are!

I built the exhaust from the headers back and for the most part am pretty happy. Its not perfect as I had some challenges as the headers did not both aim straight back. So both sides are not symmetrical! I bought the x pipe with a few other pieces and another exhaust kit - all aluminized pipe that welds really nice.

Also I am still working on the cold air intake system. I am installing the IAT out on the end of the intake tube. After looking at welding in an aluminum bung or rather finding someone to weld it in I have decided to try setting the IAT sensor in a rubber grommet and then drilling a hole in the aluminum intake tube. I will actually drill the hole, insert the grommet and them the IAT sensor!

It should be a lot less work and something I can do myself. My research has indicated that this should work! Many IAT sensors are actually in rubber grommets inserted into plastic air intake tubes.

The driver shaft in the pictures is one I had laying around. I was shocked when it fit but I only have chevy truck stuff laying around the place. It is actually between a half and three-quarters of an inch too short but after researching it a ton I think I will be okay. I wonder once I start dropping the cab and body back on if the will be even less of a difference. I am thinking the weight of the body will drop the suspension some and push the yoke in even farther! Not sure if this makes sense!!!

Have not started any wiring yet but that will start once the cab is placed back on the frame for the last time! I have the AAW classic update wiring harness waiting in the wings!
Attached Images

56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote