Thread: custom touches
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2018, 06:27 AM   #4
darrellyates

Re: custom touches

I think whatever changes need to be extremely subtle. I agree that major changes while showing off customization, can be detracting. It's either that someone understands what is done, or it distracts from the look overall.

And, you see so many where the modification is done poorly. What I mean is that the quality of the modification simply isn't there. I'm not saying you would do a poor job, buy many haven't.

All the changes on mine are subtle. So subtle in fact, that most don't notice. I welded up the drip rails on the cab. That is, they appear to be one piece. I welded and smoothed the seams in the windshield/A pillar area. Again, it's smooth on both the top and bottom of the frame. I relocated the gas tank so I filled and smoothed the filler in the cab, and added a "factory" gas cap in the bedside. The final modifications were filling in the cowl vent for a smooth (I feel more modern) appearance that I feel fits these truck overall design; especially for the slightly more delicate look of the 67-68 trucks, And then a boatload of time and attention to body lines and gaps. I did lower it a bit and centered the wheels in the wheel openings, which I feel integrates the entire package.

I tried to build mine with a similar goal. "What would the factory have done", or "If they built this truck new today, how would it have been built"? And of course, that cleared mine (in my mind anyway) for a modern LS with an overdrive installation as well.

I believe the overall design of the 67-72 trucks was excellent. I feel the 67 and 68 in particular were vastly ahead of their time and were more modern looking than their contemporaries. I think that is why they remain so popular today. I prefer these trucks to new ones. I'm not particularly nostalgic about them, I think they are a great design.

That's the way I feel about it anyway. There was a '67 Chevy truck at local shows I've noticed a couple of times lately, it is very well done. They put LED tail lights in the bumper and filled the factory holes in the bed (fleet side). They modified the door handles so they are flush with the doors. They didn't remove the drip rails, but filled them out to the top of the drip rails with filler of some type, and did most of the other modifications that I did. It was extremely well executed.

Go as far as you care to go. Ultimately, it only has to please you.

Good Luck! Will post another picture showing my gas filler door. It's the most "factory" appearing modification I did...
Attached Images

darrellyates is offline   Reply With Quote