Thread: Hernia
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2018, 02:16 PM   #18
In The Ten Ring

Re: Hernia

I began to develop a hernia in the mid-90's but no one seemed to be able to diagnose it as a hernia. In 2006 it gave way and I had to have surgery.

Oddly enough it wasn't bowel but fat that had moved into my scrotum.

I was left with a tingly feeling that kept me up for a week. I went in to see the doc who said "most hernias are this big (pinching his finger) but yours was this big (wrapped hand around upper forearm)." He said "I had to cut through a lot of nerves, the tingling may never stop."

At that I said "well I'll be dead by morning because I cannot handle another day without sleep." He gave me some perocet and let me go.

I took one pill, felt like I had drunk a case of beer, and that night, the tingling stopped! I shelved the bottle and never touched another one.

My hernia repair consists of two meshes (most are one) and works fine. Every so often I feel a "pinch" but only if I'm lifting something wrong or doing a ton of pushups. P90X workouts (crazy heavy on pushups) are not a problem for some reason.

OP:

You'll get over this but if you are overweight, I strongly urge you to get into shape. Excess fat pushes down on hernia repairs and increases the likelihood of a second failure.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote