View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #14
Mike_The_Grad

Re: 1972 quadrajet 4MV. :(

68 P.O.S.
No, I didnt set the float level. I haven't noticed any telltale signs of flooding yet. Is setting the float level necessary right out of the box? If it is then I'll do it. I installed a brand new mechanical fuel pump at the same time as the carb and intake swap. I plumbed in a new chrome drop down fuel line with banjo bolt connection and a barbed inlet with a new liquid filled 0-15 psi. Fuel gauge. At idle, after driving for about an hour, the needle is bouncing around at about 6-6.5 psi. I do have a new plastic inline filter right before the chrome fuel line. I swapped in a richer set of primary rods and the pink step up springs which is the next strongest set, but I'll try the strongest set of springs with this new set of rods and see how it goes. And its true how easy it is to make these kinds of changes to the carb. That is one area I wish the qjet had. I haven't touched anything else on the carb and I'm already liking the results. it's got nice throttle response, and goes a little higher into the RPM range. Something my quadrajet didnt do. Which tells me my qjet was having issues for quite some time. I know the qjet pretty well, and I actually miss it on my truck being that it's the original carb. My truck will have another qjet in it someday.

HO455
I agree with ya on the throttle return springs. Those stainless steel ones you see on the shelf everywhere are a lot stiffer than the stock one. But I broke my stock one. So I went just the big one out of the pair of those stainless springs. And I modified it also. I do recall a number of years ago when I was trying different springs out on my qjet, I had a really stiff spring on there. I liked the pedal feel, but I had to put way to much effort into it. I'm glad I changed it out for a softer spring. I had never heard of throttle shaft wear at that time. I did find a neat little diagram online that shows ideal throttle returns and why some of the ways I've tried in the past were really bad for the carb.

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote