View Single Post
Old 10-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Anyone have a factory 402 non-A/C set-up? Would like to put a rumor to rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Cars of that era with AC I believe always had the recirc line. It had to do with avoiding vapor lock. That's a 40+ year old memory, so don't hold me to it. In '71 Chevrolet started putting a two-row radiator in the big cars with the 400 SBC. We had so many warranty returns for overheating you just wouldn't believe it. Southern California in the summer, 105º in the shade (and no shade), those cars got hot, especially in traffic. First time I ever saw a blue torque converter. Needless to say, that trans was cooked, too. My '70 truck had a four-row brass radiator when new.
You aware of a connection between a recirc line and TH transmission Steeveedee?

I can only speak for my Chevy's, both 402 with A/C. I suspected my 71 project had the short fuel pump. It was changed sometime after, the vapor line was connected to the pump. I confirmed it had the short pump when I pulled the tank. The original config. is consistent with the GM parts book. My 72 is per the book as well, it has the recirc line.

I'm rebuilding my 71 without the recirc line. Worst case scenario it vapor locks and I replace the pump, sender and fuel line.......Wow, what a bummer. See what happens. I don't recall the A/C ever blowing cold. Seems it was dry when I got it in 89, and I never charged it. It never vapor locked, hope it never does.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-25-2018 at 10:43 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote