View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #33
Coley

Smile Re: Would you trade your glamour truck for a brand new Chevy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Looking at it strictly from that viewpoint -- over the past year or so, for various reasons, there have been times I couldn't trust my '72 to drive across town. And I live in a very small town.
This is a very good question.
My answer would be both....but I would trust the new truck to a higher degree and it would be my preferred choice in most (not all) cross country trips. Particularly if the trip was of a general utility nature vs. a 'cruise' or something along those lines.

There is no way to argue that newer vehicles have never been more reliable, better built, more powerful, last way longer and are more comfortable than they are today and that's just the way it is.
150,000 miles on a GM truck today is almost a break in period. In 1970...that was probably heading into a 2nd or 3rd motor and you were probably in for your 2nd paint job and rust repair truth be told.

I have no problem with new technology in the vehicles today....its great, so long as you aren't trying to be cool or different or impart anything to the general public. I don't confuse the new vehicle thing tho' with the true art, style, uniqueness and fun of what the vintage trucks are...these are two different conversations for me.
New vehicles are incredibly easy to buy or lease....or rent for that matter. The concept that someone has a new vehicle in the driveway meaning or inferring something related to success is.....what a 30-40 year old concept that was relevant when credit was hard to get, etc. These days the average 25 year old has a brand new vehicle....and it their 2nd or 3rd one, lol. So much for 'cachet'...lol

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote