View Single Post
Old 11-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #39
jocko

Re: Would you trade your glamour truck for a brand new Chevy?

This is an interesting question and lots of great points. Perhaps the question should be "if you could only have one or the other"....

That's a bit more difficult. I do need to get to work reliably every day. But I can make my 72 a lot more reliable than than its current state with the $45-55k leftover from not buying a new one...

I think it really comes down to the amount of time one has to tinker and whether or not the tinkering is enjoyable to you.

My "goal" is indeed to drive my 72 all over the country, with camper, and enjoy the road. But it's a lofty goal, because 46 year old trucks aren't exactly reliable without a good amount of care and feeding, and attention. New trucks don't require nearly as much attention to be reliable.

But when one breaks, I'd much rather be fixin the simple old 72 than taking a new one to the dealer to tap into the computer.

So, this is why I've not answered my own question as to "if you could only have one" - the answer is that doesn't normally work out so well. I need both to have something to get to work everyday and the reality is either can and does occasionally need repairs. So I avoided the new truck sticker shock by searching long and hard for the 2nd 2001 I've owned, and was very fortunate to finally find the 11K 2001 that I wish I'd bought new for less than 1/4 the price of its present day equivalent. It's the dd, the 72 is the goal - something to look forward to, to go camping in and travel the countryside if I ever get the time. Long way to go before it's ready or I have the time, so it's all good
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote