View Single Post
Old 11-17-2018, 06:13 PM   #7
svr

Re: Air temp to paint gun?

Did some test panels this morning and had something interesting happen. I have an old trailer fender i was using as a test panel, i wanted to split it down the middle and do 1 half 1 color of my combo and do the other half the other. I taped it yesterday afternoon with green frog tape to mask the 1 side off. After I shot the base coat I waited about 30 min and started to pull the tape. It looked like the solvent from the urethane paint had melted through the green frog tape and left the sticky from the tape on the fender. I was in a panic until i found i could rub the glue it left with my finger and roll it up into a ball. I waited the required hour for the color to be tape safe and used 3M blue tape on the fresh paint to do the other side and shot the other color. I pulled that tape as soon as I had given the gun a quick cleaning and all was good, no glue residue at all and no pulled paint from the first color. Not really sure what happened but will stick with 3M blue tape going forward unless somebody can explain what happened. Shot some clear coat on top of it all and so far all is good.