View Single Post
Old 12-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
garyd1961

Re: An insect nearly burned down my 67 stepside.

You call that a hard luck story? That's nothing. I drove my hotrod S10 with a 383 down to my cousin's about a 1/4 mile from my house and the oil pressure dropped to zero as I was going up his driveway. He's an old time hotrodder so he says no problem lets rebuild it. Same problem as you had, pickup tube fell out.
Ok after a couple months and about 3 grand the motor is ready. I decided not to put it back in my S10 but to put it in my C10. I also had dirt dobbers to clog every line hanging on the wall of cousin's shop. He knew he had a dirt dobber problem so we checked before installing lines. Now it's time to fire up motor and all is good. Motor runs strong and has good oil pressure pegs the gauge, that is until it gets hot then it has 0, zero, nada, no oil pressure. The big cam, big stall, motor didn't work for the C10 anyway so I just pulled it out and bought a GM L31-R crate motor.
By then I'm back at my house with the new motor ready to install, just waiting for a day off work. That's when I get a call at work from a friend with a panicky voice saying someone just stole your motor. That's right someone(I know who) backed up to my shop pulled the doors off with their truck and stole my new motor.
Homeowners Ins. said not to worry you are covered. Yes you are covered just some more paperwork and we will send you a check. Three weeks latter I get a call, " Sorry you are not covered after all" bye thank you.
I am happy to say though today I have motor #3 a GM crate L31-R in my truck running great and the thieves are in jail(but getting out soon). I sold the S10 and 383 for pennies on the dollar and had to buy two crate engines to get one in my truck but I never gave up.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote