View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #17
JerryIndy2112

Re: 71 GMC Longhorn, compatible engine and transmition

Ok Coley,
Good question about budget. I plan to spend 7-10K on the truck over a couple years. I do want to keep as original as practical. Do not want to add electronic ignition or any of that. I expect to rebuild transmission, engine maybe even the carb. Some things I will gladly do myself. I want to do body right, and repaint. May need a electrical harness. Doors are messed up on the outside, mostly due to mirrors being hit. Want to put the stock, period mirrors on it. Not sure what can be done with doors. The back bumper is below the body indents for the standard truck. This is factory, the original package had a camper that hang down over standard bumper. I have no intention of putting any camper back on it. So I need a stock bumper and supports. The wood bed is garbage. Some of the hardware is ok, some is rotted. So bed needs replaced. The previous owner put plywood and mats down to keep stuff from falling out. It has 2 gas tanks, surprise. The thing drinks gas like water. It will need fuel lines. Undercoating. The list is long. Still working on the order of repairs. I am far from rich, but a bit at a time. The big projects need to be planned in advance and saved for. I hope to own this truck for a few years, restore it. Maybe sell, make some money and buy another. I do love this body style. My wife is even excited by the whole project. She also loves the truck style. So all is good. If you can please the wife and make a beautiful truck even better, win, win.

BTW for anyone checking the tread, my transmission is definitely a TH400, the dimples make me sure. Still have not had time to sort the carburetor.
JerryIndy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote