View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
rpmerf

Re: Starter Dilemma 350 crate /700r4

I've destroyed the flex plate in my truck. After I rebuilt the top end about 3 years ago, I started noticing the hot start issue. Only 1 place carried a replacement starter in the area, so that's what I used. Forget who made it, but it wasn't a Delco. I had to reshim that thing every 6 months. Last spring it got to the point I couldn't start the truck. Looked into it, bad teeth on the flexplate, cracked starter housing.

Did a bunch of research.
#1 - Use the right bolts. These are knurled at the top. Unfortunately, the stock bolts are for a 3/8" (0.375") starter hole, and most replacement starters have a 10mm (0.393") hole, so it doesn't hold it in place as well as it should.
#2 - Use the proper torque spec. Want to say it is 38 ft/lb.
#3 - Use a starter brace. Not sure how many were installed from the factory, or how many factory ones were thrown away.

I installed a new flexplate, AC Delco starter, and starter brace. Spent a while shimming it to get it right. It starts better than ever and the starter is very quiet. I tried to find new bolts, there are some designed for the 10mm holes, but I didn't see ones in the length I needed.

I have a 6 gauge ground run directly to the back of the starter where it connects to the brace. This certainly helped a bit.

I'm almost surprised they don't make the starter gear out of slightly weaker metal, so they starter wears and not the flex plate. I can get a new starter for <$50 and replace it in an hour or less. A flex plate takes quite a bit longer to replace.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote