View Single Post
Old 12-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #1
Mike_The_Grad

Help with 292 rebuild.

Hello to all,
I am currently in the process of rebuilding a 292 inline 6 for my dads 64 LWB C10. I have the engine basically back together(rotating assembly, cylinder head, oil pan,etc...)

The part I'm kinda stuck on is the intake/exhaust manifold. No, it is not an integral head type( the casting number i have is 331184)

My dad wants to run a dual single-barrel intake and a header for dual exhaust. Everywhere I look online or in the catalogs only seem to designate the multi-carb intakes as being for 235-261 inline 6 engines. Now I have read on here amongst other places that the intake mounting and bolt pattern is interchangeable between the i6's except the integral heads.
If this is indeed true, then any intake designated as being for any chevy inline 6(besides integral type) should bolt right up to the cylinder head I have installed right now, correct?

Yes i am aware that the intake needs a heating element of some sort to help prevent fuel from condensating to the intake runners, and having a header requires something to ensure this. I already have something in mind and is a non issue.

Depending on the answer is what dictates if I just run the stock single barrel setup in the meantime to find an actual "292 dual carb intake" if that is required. If any of the offy or Clifford intakes will work then I go ahead and wait to get one before I spend the time to clean up my stock intake.

The reason behind the part of me being stuck is my dad. He wants to drive his truck, but he doesnt want the issue of not having the dual intake to keep the project from moving forward. Which I get. But we dont have a decent stock exhaust manifold to run in the meantime either. The one I have came off the 250 we pulled out of the truck. And its cracked in more than a couple of places, also the heat riser valve needs to be replaced and the thermocoil. I'm advocating to spend the money and get the dual carb and header setup and run that. Rather than run the stock setup with a bad exhaust manifold only to later pull it all apart just to install what he really wants.

So, if I can run any of these dual intake setups I can work on that. But if I need a specific 292 dual carb intake, I'd like to know who and where I can get one so I can go that route. Thanks in advance for your time. Here are some pics of the engine and truck so far
Attached Images

Instagram: Mike_The_Grad
Mike_The_Grad is offline   Reply With Quote