View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
SilveradoDude

Exclamation Re: Problems with reman Q-Jet: round two

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
Don’t touch the choke adjustment yet. With the engine cold, you step on the accelerator once to set the choke. The choke should be closed. Crank the engine and when the engine fires up the choke blade should open a crack. Does this happen? Engine should be on fast idle now, after a short period you bump the accelerator pedal and the idle speed should drop, but not all the way down. The choke blade should be opening on its own as the electricity through the choke coil heats it up. Eventually by tapping the accelerator you should be able to get the idle down to normal, where the drivers side of the linkage is touching the curb idle screw and can finally be adjusted. All the choke and fast idle stuff happens on the passenger side. Start the truck just like I said and watch what happens. No pumping the gas pedal! Post what happens.

Quadrajets are the best carb ever made but the absolute hardest to work on. And as they get older I’m having more trouble making any of them work right, personally. I’m telling you not to pump the gas but my ‘79 sometimes takes an extra shot of gas when it’s really cold because my choke isn’t completely dialed in. I have a glovebox full of choke coils and haven’t found the right one. And the carb is off an ‘85 motorhome with a 454...if you can get your carb adjusted properly it will be worth it. Just takes time and patience. I will try to post some pics later.
Ok, confirmed 12 volts to the elec. choke (well 11.58). Engine cold. stepped on the accelerator once. Choke appeared "closed" (small gap). bumped the accelerator again and the idle speed DOES NOT reduce, seems to stick. When I manually fiddle with the accelerator pump lever it went down. Also a small amount of gas near accelerator pump lever. The truck is idling so high (1000 rpm at idle) I can't get it any lower. curb idle screw is all the way out. Need to get these RPM's down. No smoke today though. Still dieseling if it runs for a few minutes then shut off.

Last edited by SilveradoDude; 01-01-2019 at 04:09 PM.
SilveradoDude is offline   Reply With Quote