View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 01:04 AM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Intermittent power loss (need help troubleshooting please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevarthan View Post
Ok, I researched this HEI distributor the best I could. I read the coil ohms with a meter and saw less than 1 ohm. Couldn't find the exact specs on my particular coil but I figure that's probably a within-spec reading.

As far as I can tell everything is grounded fine. Took the cap off and ran it. No visible sparks.

Reached out and touched the power wire and it's noticeably warm. Voltage seems to drop from 10v to 9.1v as the engine warms up. It's pink, not white, but it still seems to be acting like a resistor, so I think I'm just going to order a replacement. It may not be my problem, but it seems like it's *a* problem anyway.
Most of the guys on here that have converted to an HEI distributor will tell you that you need a positive 12 volts going to the distributor, to the BAT terminal, and also that you no longer need the yellow wire from the starter for anything. That means that you also don't need the white resistance wire from the firewall block. You can replace it with the red wire to the distributor or you can run a red wire from the fuse panel IGN-UNFUSED terminal to the Bat terminal on the distributor. Either way it gives you 12 volts key on ignition to the distributor. You will have to have that before you can proceed with any trouble shooting. It may fix the problem or not but, you must have that.

From your description it sounds like your ignition is breaking down due to the low voltage and the way the wiring is set up would explain that.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote