View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

Re: Firewall Pad - Who's sells a good one?

I am working on redoing the interior of my 83 C20. The firewall pad was mostly disintegrated and coming apart from various windshield leaks. I decided to get some cheap foil backed polyurethane like car insulation from ebay. It is not the best quality, but way better than the original stuff. The silver backing (which faces the interior) was not very thick or shinny, but it does not delaminate from the foam backing.

I had to cut the bulk material in small pieces to fit it around all of the obstructions. I had the hvac box out because I saw what appeared to be evidence of past leaking around the box, so that area was pretty much one piece. I used hvac aluminized silver tape to cover the seams of the pieces.

I am undecided about using it under the carpet, and whether or not I will get new carpet. The super sticky back on this stuff makes it difficult to work with. You basically have one shot to get it in place because once it touches a surface it is stuck there. I don't know how good it is but I got the 3/8" thick (approximately) version. I am sure that this is the cheap Chinese stuff, but I could not see spending $300-$500 on the expensive stuff. I think I spent about $50 for a roll probably large enough to do the floor and the firewall.

I will probably get the thin 1/16" stuff for the back wall, since here in HotZona every metal surface get to be a blazing temperature in the summer. I have a custom storage box I made for the behind the seat area, so whatever I put there will be mostly covered up.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote