View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 AM   #20
Grumpy old man

Re: Intermittent power loss (need help troubleshooting please)

You posted this a few years ago --

Hello,

I bought this truck a few months ago. Sometimes, when I turn the key off, the engine spins down, then "coughs" and tries to turn over one last time. The previous owner thought this was a malfunctioning carb, so the truck came with a carb rebuild kit.

I've since replaced the door locks, axle bearings, brakes, turn signal switch, fuel pump, power steering pump, radiator cap, and even the air filter. I think it's pretty funny that he prioritized this minor issue as a must-fix-first thing, but he's an old school engine racing guy, so I guess that makes sense.

Is this a carb issue? Will a rebuild kit fix it? Is there a book I could buy that would teach me how to install the rebuild kit? I replaced a head gasket once on a 94 toyota pickup, so I'm pretty sure I'm handy enough to handle it. I just need instructions.

Alternatively, Autozone sells an automatic choke carb for about $250. I assume this is an auto choke carb since I don't see a control anywhere for the choke, and under the air filter there was a little doo-hickey labeled "AC". It must not be working though, because I have to gas it for 30 seconds when I start it to keep it running.

Any info appreciated. I'm having a lot of fun bringing the mechanicals on this thing back to working order.

Thanks!

Did you ever rebuild the carb ? I don't see a choke cable going to the carb ? did you install an auto choke ? have you checked the fuel float level ? have you checked the heat riser valve below the exhaust manifold to see if it's turning freely when cold and hot ? Take a picture of the passenger side of the carb . The previous owner told you it had a carb issue and gave you a rebuild kit did you fix it ? What color smoke comes from the exhaust ? When you check the oil level does the oil on the dip stick smell like gas ?

I don't think you have an ignition problem ,I think you have a fuel issue from improper float / choke issue , possible stuck heat riser.

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote