Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 03:04 PM   #254
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Well got a few things done...or should I say started.

Been going over in my mind about the rust repair that is going to happen and a few thoughts on that. My doors are in pretty decent shape with only a couple of small areas that would need to be fixed....The issue is that the PO cut the interior doors and put speakers in them...not a big fan of cutting doors.

So yesterday I decided to take everything out of the doors except the door latch so it can be closed securely when I am taking it to the shop. As I started taking things out I noticed that whomever put the speakers in the doors used some type of synthetic batting and placed it behind the speaker...I guess to keep from rattling...I also realized that they used the forward part of the door area to put the speaker in.....also while taking things a part I really understood just how poorly these things were designed in that the only thing that keeps water from inside the doors in the little felt whisker that keeps the glass from rattling and thus most of the door internals were rusted.

This lead to 2 conclusions...1 is that I am going to use the NOS doors that I bought. 1 it saves me in rust repair on the doors and no telling what it would cost to fix the speaker holes in the doors.....and 2 that some type of drainage needs to be placed in the door bottoms so water that gets in can get out not that I am planning to drive around in the rain all day but I do plane to wash it and keep it clean.

The other is that the internal parts need to be coated so that when water gets inside that it will not rust up again....because taking the windows out was a pain...I guess I don't know the trick of how to get them out easier.

While the truck is in the shop I plan on rebuilding the vent windows, replacing the glass tape that hold the window in the channel and make sure they will be ready to install after the doors are painted.

So I cleaned everything up best I could and the put a coat of POR15 on the parts...….I am doing one side at a time....just so I can always look at the other if I forget how the vent window goes back together...not too hard but just wanna be safe.

I also bought some automotive paint from the paint store and had it put in an aerosol can so when I go to paint the vent window tracks it will hopefully last...Rustoleum just doesn't seem to cut it.....So the process begins
Attached Images

Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote