View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 12:04 PM   #33
andyh1956

Re: Propane as a fuel and performance

Greetings from Mississippi!
There is a small amount of missinfo on the OP's original post about CNG that I can clear up.
He posts that a gallon of gasoline has 125k of BTU content. This is correct. But he lists a gallon of CNG as 100K BTU content.

I'll start by saying (This is confusing) that the BTU formulas are used to get Apples & Oranges to make Apples & Apples. Gasoline is a liquid while CNG is a Vapor. So, to get a Gallon of CNG we calculate the amount in Cu Ft of Vapor that would have the SAME BTU content as a gallon of gasoline. That figure gives us a GGE or Gas Gallon Equivalent. One Gas Gallon Equivalent has 126.7 Cu Ft of Natural gas that equals 125K of BTU content. So by using this formula one gallon of gasoline & one GGE of natural gas have the SAME BTU rating.
What is NOT the same is octane rating. Whereas a gallon of regular gasoline is like 88 octane CNG is something like 130 or so, I can't remember right off have to look it up. Anyway it's WAY hotter than Propane or Gasoline in that respect.
Here is the company we started when I came home from Afghanistan in 2010. Lots of info about CNG here.
We sell compression packages, build fueling stations & I convert vehicles to run on CNG. Also Bi Fuel vehicles. Lotsa info about CNG here.
Thanks
ngvsoulutions.com

Last edited by andyh1956; 01-19-2019 at 12:10 PM.
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote