View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Did you ever meet a Chevy you wish you hadnt?

Had to scratch my head a bit. I've owned several Chevys and never really hated any of them, but the one I liked the least and would never buy again was our '87 Astro van. Bought it for the roominess, refused to even consider the competition, which was Ford Aerostar or Mopar minivan (whatever they were called).

It had a 4.3L V6 with 4-speed auto trans. Guaranteed to skin your knuckles when changing spark plugs. Questionable build quality with just enough rattles to drive you crazy. Want a headache, drive that van several miles with tire chains -- big echo chamber for all the vibrations & rattles. Transmission failed under warranty and it made the trip to the dealer (an hour away) on a rollback. They fixed it and it wasn't long before it failed again. Back to the dealer for a rebuilt trans.

Eventually I had enough and test drove a new '95 Blazer, the small one. On a whim we stopped at a Jeep dealer and they handed me the keys to a new Grand Cherokee. Seemed much nicer than the Blazer, more solid, and better power. It had a 318 cid V8 and full-time 4WD. We bought it and left the Astro for someone else to, uh, experience.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote