View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 01:25 AM   #6
MARTINSR

Re: high build primer

I did a few experiments with Featherfill back years ago. I love doing tests, to REALLY see what you can do.

I did a Harley gas tank that I made a display piece out of when I was a paint rep. I bondoed it, sanded it with 36 grit and put three or four coats of featherfill and sanded that up to 600 painting it a pearl purple and then cleared. I used it for years as a display and it looked perfect! I hung it up in my attic so it would get good and hot to affect it like it was on a car.

I later did another, a freebee repair on a Chevy pickup where I fixed it with bondo and sanding it with 36 grit, feathered the paint around it with 120 and primed it with Featherfill. I sanded it starting with 180, up to 600 and painted it black. I checked on it many months later and there was zero sand scratches from that 36! The stuff is friggin amazing!

And yes, you could bury a dime with it. Your typical factory paint job, primer, paint and clear is about 5mils. Four coats of featherfill gave me 21 mils! Yep, it's thick! It's literally like spraying bondo.

I am not really big on it unless you REALLY need it. Something with a lot of lines like a tail gate or firewall, that's the perfect place so you don't have apply bondo sanding it with fine paper. You can shape it out with coarse paper where it's easy to sand and shape and then apply polyester primer like Featherfill and then sand it like it's a skim coat of bondo, works like friggin magic.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote