View Single Post
Old 02-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #72
trevarthan

Re: Intermittent power loss (need help troubleshooting please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Glad you got it mostly figured out. What a pain. Make sure you gap your plugs to 0.045 for HEI. The hesitation you still feel could be the step-up springs or the accelerator pump. How much vacuum does the engine pull at idle?
Installed new crappy $16 plugs properly gapped at 0.045 and retuned the mixture with the air cleaner on.

When we pulled the platinum plugs they were covered in black soot, so definitely it was running rich. At that point the mixture was dialed to 2 turns from all the way in.

After installing the properly gapped cheapo plugs I retuned the mixture using the vacuum gauge and it seemed to want about 1.5 turns from all the way in. So about a half turn leaner than the previous setting.

It was pulling about 50 cm Hg vacuum on my cheap harbor freight vacuum gauge. If I leaned it another quarter turn it would dip. If I made it a quarter turn richer nothing would happen, so I left it right there.

Seems to be running quite well. The engine was still a little warm when we tested it, so we'll see how it runs cold, but I'm thinking it's a pretty good tune now.
trevarthan is offline   Reply With Quote