View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #14
renegade6

Re: A tale of three trucks or, three trucks enter, two leave

It's alive and running. Not too many pictures on this update, hard to stop when I get in the groove, especially with wiring. Significant updates are:

-Installed front clip
-LS swap details:
-Fabricated transmission cooler lines from NiCop and plumbed in new radiator and external trans cooler.
-The factory radiator works. For LS hoses, I used the factor 2001 upper hose and a lower hose from Jeep Grand Cherokee. A little heat on the upper hose allows it to slip on to the stock radiator. I will need to fab up a panel to cover the gap between the shroud and core support.
-For the steam vent, I connected it to the heater outlet on the radiator
-Intake is a generic Silverado kit from Ebay using the stock 2001 air cleaner assembly. I'm not a fan of the K&N type filters and no need for the extra horsepower on this truck.
-I relocated the battery to the driver's side to make it easier to hook up the electrical using the stock 2001 parts. The ECM is below the battery and I used the original battery/ground cables with new end connectors. The battery tray looks like it is from a 80s GM car or square body truck.
-Surge tank is mounted below the air cleaner due to limited flat space to mount it.

-The air conditioning is a vintage air system and nothing really special about installing it, other than it is a really tight fit under the dash and I had to remove the brackets to get the evaporator under the dash and then install the brackets. I used the Kwik performance bracket for the compressor. On a past swap, I used a Holley bracket and it took forever to find the right belt. For this one, Kwik gives you a part number for the correct belt and as a result it was a lot qwicker...Because of the battery change, the main power and ground wire is run inside the cab to exit on the driver's side through an existing hole and the circuit breaker is mounted next to the Maxi Fuzes.

-This truck has had air conditioning previously and had holes drilled thru the floor. The last owner decided to take the easy way out to patch them and I welded the holes up. I had removed a factory plug on the firewall and recycled it to fill the hole for the fuel line.

-Gas cap hole patched and filled.

-Flooring. Installed a vinyl floor covering and was fortunate that it got warm enough on the day to install. If I had to do this again in the winter, I would wait until summer. Having a torpedo heater really helps to loosen it up.

This about wraps up the wife's truck. Next step is to either start on my 63 Biscayne again or start working on my 72 with rust repair on the cab...
Attached Images

72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote