View Single Post
Old 03-17-2019, 10:05 PM   #198
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoJuice View Post
This is correct. I did turn the engine so that the cam was at 6 and crank 12 to line up the gears properly.

After I installed the chain I turned the motor to TDC on #1 so it was back to 12 cam, 12 crank. This is the way it was before I removed the old gears. As I mentioned I removed the distributor cap and the rotor was pointing at #1 with crank 12 cam 12.

So are you saying that my distributor is 180 out? I'm confused.

Initially before removing the balancer I turned the motor over by hand & stuck my finger in the #1 hole and turned the crank over by hand until it blasted strong air against my finger then lined up the marker on the dampener to 0 degrees. This is when I started disassembly. When removing the timing chain cover the marks were cam 12, crank 12. So that should be TDC on #1.
Ok now I'm a little confused. I think every video I watched online everyone talks about lining up the dots to install the new chain but they never mention anything about setting the engine to TDC on #1 before starting the job.

Well yes I did do that, my marks were at 12 cam & 12 crank with the rotor pointing at #1 cylinder before starting the job. I then turned the motor to line up the dots crank 12, cam 6 then when finished installing the new chain I cranked the engine over to TDC on #1 putting it back to crank 12, cam 12.

So when you say that my distributor is out of wack that would mean that I would need to

-remove the chain
-pull the distributor
-Turn the cam gear/cam until the lines match at cam 6 and crank 12
-Reinstall the chain
-Drop in the distributor to point to #1 cylinder.

I just want to clarify this before I put everything back together. As I mentioned that when my finger gets blown out the #1 hole the cam is at 12 and crank 12.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry in a little bit of a panic state that this was wrong to begin with from the previous owner.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote