View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #33
724wdcopper
graphic designer

in highschool (I'm noticing a trend here) a buddy had a '72 camper special 4wd with 4" lift, exhaust cutouts, 350, a pretty tough truck! he rolled it in the mountains, bought a 2wd body to replace the rolled version and spent 8 months waiting for it to get out of body shop jail. my dad owns a body shop in the same town, but he thought since the insurance company told him to go to the other shop, he had to! not so, and he wishes he had taken it to my dad. the other shop did an ok job, but the paint sucked, and 8 months to swap a body?

anyway, i was sporting a 74 GMC jimmy my dad bought new. LOVED that rig! it was a monster! well, i thought so. stock sagged springs, 31" tires, factory exhaust, but it had a 350 (built in the late 70's by a local race car engine builder) with a quadrajet. massive bog, but when she started to eat all that gas, man! what a sweet sound! but, after 20 some years of never any maintenace (rode hard and put away wet - as my dad would say!) it lost third gear. continued to drive it. good to 80mph in 2nd. we looked around for a mid 80's 4wd chev with AC, but they were all hashed. then a beautiful orange 72 4wd came to a car lot my dad does business with. he sent me down there to check it out. no ac. i thought it would be a deal breaker, but the next day, there it was! at my dads shop. i fugured it was getting worked on. nope! it was there for me!

have never regreted it since! plan on keeping it forever, and want another! this is a sick disease!
724wdcopper is offline   Reply With Quote