View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #298
LH Lead-Foot

Re: Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

Nice photos, wish I could go...but don't or can't afford to go anywhere. Wife healing from replacement shoulder & down to one income. Got $85 after bills before the grocery store.
I need a barn raising. City wants permits, 48 deep foundation, power moved, 2" foam insulation on outside of foundation, and floor under concrete. I guy can dream. House is like split level, but where you walk in, they moved it 14 feet apart and has canted steps up & down. My love it in 92, so I got it for her. Bad news, the garage is a 1 1/2" garage under one end. Because we are on the corner of cul de sac... we have two driveways and room in the back yard to build a 2 car garage sideways. I have two piles of new parts over 6" high, 8' square, plus equipment & tool boxes. I have shelving complete on one wall to compressor, 12" SS bench then wrapped with 4 SnapOn tool boxes. With every special tool except TIG, Press and little else, out of room.

Layed out seat pattern for leather, trying to move forward with sewing on commercial lock-stitch Juki that will sew thru 8 layers of leather. Mig, table saw, torch, blast cabinet, Engine on stand, 4L60 on pallet W/wheels, can't move. Wife has empty basement with family room and two empty bedrooms and will not let me use any of the rooms. This what happens when tech retires and has little garage after building 28' X 36' with 12' ceiling at last home. The only travel I do is to the doctors office. Sound weird but looking forward to nerve block / epidural the 19th. Top fusion was 05 W/brackets, bars & screws. Doc says that studies show arthritis grows on joint above those. So hello L3.

I am selling , saving and sneaking money on the side for what I need. I am using chemical stripping method to remove paint, grind out filler, use SPI epoxy then Evercoat rage gold. Did math for everything paint, primer to clear and shocked to see $960 before taxes.
My youngest son used bondo, sanded, sprayed with dollar store rattle can primer to see if flat, then added more filler...wrong on so many levels, but I was busy fixing mechanical & electrical and did not watch or see his body work. So starting over will I have time before I get the wheelchair out in 2022 - 2023. Seems weird to say or see that, but I was warned by doctor that a healthy tall guy will be on a two wheeler in a few years. I have to move along...maybe I'll get a $30 flip phone cell plan and start a facebook. Never had either. We will see. Son can't help, as his two boys love to work on cars. They want PaPa to teach them.
I just want to leave something I build behind for others to use.

Hope you get further in your project. I will not bring up my issues again. Sorry about your dog. There is a special place in heaven for these guys.